Invasive Ductal Carcinoma, Triple Positive.

Today I met with the surgeon who explained my pathology and MRI results in detail. Yes, the lump is relatively small and as far as anyone can tell, my lymph nodes look normal. They have determined that the cancer is invasive, meaning it has spread beyond the mass and into the surrounding breast tissue. The most unfortunate news is that she tells me the tumor is HER2 positive, meaning it's even more invasive with a high likelihood of recurrence. She tells me I will need12 weeks of adjunctive chemotherapy along with surgery, a year of weekly IV's and several years of endocrine therapy as the cancer is estrogen receptive. 


We discussed the surgery, which will also be an ordeal. I think I mentioned to everyone that I have to decide whether to have a mastectomy or lumpectomy with radiation. Additionally, they will remove 5 lymph nodes from the armpit and inject a radioactive tracer to determine if the cancer has spread. I guess the long term recurrence and survival rate is the same with lumpectomy or mastectomy, so the choice is entirely mine. I may choose just to get both breasts removed and replaced with implants if the rate of recurrence is high and they find a genetic predisposition. So, I have a lot to think about. Next week I meet with a genetic counsellor to get the DNA testing done and will meet with an oncologist soon to find out what the deal is with the chemo and when that will begin.12 weeks is a long time. I cry thinking about losing my breasts AND my hair. I'm heartbroken. I had so much to look forward to this year and now I'm afraid it will all slip through my fingers.


I'm holding off on telling the kids and my employer until I know exactly what the plan is with chemo and surgery. I mean, they'll have no choice but to work with me, but what a crappy thing to deal with. Anyway, I'll keep sending updates as we go.


I love you all

-Janice

Comments

Popular Posts